There are several important factors to consider when selecting a Personal Trainer.
1) First you must know what your fitness goals are. Do you want to lose weight, gain muscle, gain strength, run faster run longer, become more flexible? These are only a few question to ask yourself before choosing a personal trainer.
2) A trainer with credentials is a must to ensure competence in their profession. A personal trainer can receive accredited certification from the American Council on Exercise (ACE), National Academy of Sports Medicine (NASM), the National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA) and the Aerobics & Fitness Association of America (AFAA) to just name a few.
3) Personality is important in any relationship especially when the person will be pushing you past your limits. The trainer should make you feel comfortable and secure with them and yourself.
4) Endorsements and referrers for personal trainers from their clients with similar goals to yours.
5) The philosophy of the trainer will determine if you will be successful in his or her training program. Do not be afraid to ask question about the trainer's philosophy to better understand their training style and program.
6) The availability and consistency of the trainer will determine if your fitness journey will be smooth and prosperous.
7) Location of training. Will the training be performed indoors, outdoors or a combination of both? What type of training facility?
8) Cost of personal trainers can range vastly. You must know your budget. Do not be afraid to shop around.